Zermatt Major Events and Festivals
The wonderful thing about Zermatt hotels is that they are right in the center of all the activity and nightlife in Zermatt. Throughout the year, Zermatt hosts a variety of events and festivals that attract visitors from all around the world. By timing your Swiss Alps vacation correctly, you can enjoy one of these great festivals along with the fantastic Zermatt skiing areas. Check with the hotels in Zermatt for special pricing and travel packages during festivals and special events. Below is a list of some of the most popular Zermatt festivals that attract travelers to Zermatt Switzerland each year.
- Zermatt Festival – Each September, the village of Zermatt comes alive with music. For two weeks renowned artists come together to entertain visitors with beautiful music at the foot of the Matterhorn. Majestic views combine with heavenly sounds as musicians showcase their talents. In addition to performances, masterclasses and art workshops are held throughout the two-week festival.
- Zermatt Unplugged – Each spring, usually in April, Zermatt is transformed into a huge rock concert. Musicians and bands from around the world descent on Zermatt to perform concerts in several venues around the village. Past performers include Stephan Eicher, OneRepublic, Billy Idol, Lionel Richie, Jason Mraz, Alanis Morissette, Suzanne Vega and Chris de Burgh. Each year, Zermatt Unplugged attracts thousands of visitors who come to enjoy the live performances and Zermatt attractions.
- Swiss Food Festival – Each August, chefs tempt eager visitors with enticing scents as they prepare their delicious creations for all to sample. Food stalls line Zermatt’s main street while restaurants host special dinners, brunches and other events to showcase their talented chefs. This is a great time to visit Zermatt as many Zermatt hotels offer special packages and discounts for the festival. Zermatt weather conditions are perfect for outdoor activities such as hiking, biking and even summer skiing. Combine great food with an awesome Swiss Alps sightseeing vacation.
- The Matterhorn Eagle Cup – This annual golf tournament has been held in the shadow of the great Matterhorn for over 20 years. Each August, golfers take to the natural alpine meadows to play golf in some of the most beautiful scenery in Europe.
- Zermatt Folklore Festival – The second weekend in August is reserved for the annual Folklore Festival. Groups from all over Switzerland come to Zermatt to perform and entertain. Dancers, musicians and yodelers entertain crowds at the fairgrounds and the church square. Lots of food and fun for the entire family. The highlight is the parade that goes right through the middle of the town.
Throughout the year, Zermatt hosts a variety of events including sporting contests, art festivals, concerts and live performances. It is best to book your Zermatt accommodation early as most hotels in Zermatt fill up quickly for dates around special events. For information on Zermatt events, you can contact the office of Zermatt Tourism or check our blog for news and information.