Zermatt is the most popular Swiss ski resort town in all of Switzerland. It lies at the base of the Matterhorn and is a favorite ski destination for both local and foreign tourists.
For those who are planning to go on an affordable Zermatt ski holidays, you might want to check out these fun facts first about Zermatt and the Swiss Alps most famous mountain, the Matterhorn:
- The Matterhorn is one of the tallest mountains in the Swiss Alps with a height of 4,478 meters or 14,692 feet.
- Part of the Matterhorn lies on the Italian border where the mountain is called Mont Cervino.
- The first successful climb on the Matterhorn was done in 1865 by the party of Edward Whymper.
- Lucy Walker was the first woman to conquer the Matterhorn in 1871.
- Aside from the Matterhorn, there are 28 Alps Mountains surrounding the Swiss ski resort town of Zermatt.
- All of the peaks in Zermatt have a height of 4,000 meters and above and 9 of them belong to the 10 highest mountains in Europe.
- Zermatt is a car free ski resort town. Only a few electric powered taxi cabs and buses are allowed inside Zermatt. Horse drawn carriage is still the preferred transportation which is just perfect for a romantic holiday.
- The Klein Matterhorn also known as Gobba de Rolln is the highest ski lift in Europe with a height of 3,899 meters or 12,830 feet.
- Zermatt has an area of 93 square miles and a local population of about 6,000. During the peak season of Zermatt skiing, tourists usually outnumber the locals.
- Zermatt has the largest summer skiing area in Europe with 25 kilometers of ski runs and 9 Zermatt ski lifts still open during summer.
- Winter Zermatt skiing season starts late November to early May; it is the longest winter ski season in all of Europe making this town a favorite of professional skiers including Olympians.
- There are more than 100 Zermatt hotels that are open the whole year round.
- There are around 13,500 Zermatt hotel rooms that can serve thousands of tourists even in the peak Zermatt ski season.
- English, German and Italian are the most common languages spoken in Zermatt.
- Swiss, Italian, American and Asian dishes are some of the popular cuisine served in Zermatt restaurants and Zermatt hotels.
To know more about Zermatt vacations and top rated tourist attractions, you can go to Zermatt Matterhorn and read our blog articles.
Zermatt Matterhorn specializes in affordable Zermatt vacation packages that include Switzerland cheap airline tickets, affordable bookings at any of our partner Zermatt hotels and Zermatt accommodations. Book through us for guaranteed discounts on your Swiss Alps travel and vacation needs.Google+